The human skin is in direct contact with the environment and is continuously exposed to external stress factors. To combat the damages, skin cells are constantly involved in regeneration and repair processes that require a high amount of energy. However, with increasing age, energy production declines. As a result, cell and tissue functions are impaired, which leads to notable structural changes. All these factors result in the well‐known signs of skin aging, such as the appearance of wrinkles, lines, and the loss of skin elasticity.1,2
Reactive oxygen species (ROS) and free radicals are the leading causes of damage to skin cells. Maintenance of sufficient cellular energy and antioxidant protection against ROS are two important ways of protecting the skin against age‐associated alterations. 2,3,4
What is Ubiquinone?
Ubiquinone, also known as coenzyme Q10, is an endogenously synthesized lipid-soluble antioxidant essential for cellular energy production. Ubiquinone is widely accepted for its antioxidant capacity. During the process of energy production and various extracellular enzymatic processes, ubiquinone is converted to ubiquinol. Ubiquinol serves specific functions as an antioxidant and protects mitochondria, lipid membranes, lipoproteins, and DNA from oxidative damage.2,5
Antioxidant effects of Ubiquinol-10 in skin
In the skin, endogenous Ubiquinone levels decrease with increasing age. Additionally, UV‐irradiation, which causes extensive oxidative damage, significantly reduces skin’s Ubiquinone levels.2
Studies show that stressed skin benefits from the topical Ubiquinone treatment by reducing free radicals and increasing antioxidant capacity. Especially in the deeper layers of the epidermis, the ubiquinone level is significantly increased.2,6
Studies show that quinone values on the skin surface are significantly increased after treatment with ubiquinone‐containing formulas. Ubiquinone‐containing formulas that are topically applied can easily penetrate the skin, are metabolically transformed, exert antioxidant effects, and can support the regulation of cell energy levels.2
Antioxidant effects of Ubiquinol-10 in skin
Topical application of Ubiquinol-10 helps to block the biological pathways that cause inflammation. In the groups treated with Ubiquinol-10, inflammation was lowered, the healing time was reduced, and collagen production was increased.9
Coenzyme Q10 appears to have a cutaneous healing effect. A study on mice found that collagen-like polymer (CLP) level of group treated with coenzyme Q10 was increased significantly compared to the control group. Also, CoQ10 group showed significant inhibition on inflammatory markers, myeloperoxidase and phospholipase A2, compared to the control group. These data show that CoQ10 may have an anti-inflammatory and a wound healing effect.10
- Conley KE, Marcinek DJ, Villarin J. Mitochondrial dysfunction and age. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2007;10(6):688-692.
- Knott A, Achterberg V, Smuda C, et al. Topical treatment with coenzyme Q10-containing formulas improves skin’s Q10 level and provides antioxidative effects. Biofactors. 2015;41(6):383-390.
- Tan BL, Norhaizan ME, Liew WP, Sulaiman Rahman H. Antioxidant and Oxidative Stress: A Mutual Interplay in Age-Related Diseases. Front Pharmacol. 2018;9:1162.
- Poljsak B, Šuput D, Milisav I. Achieving the balance between ROS and antioxidants: when to use the synthetic antioxidants. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:956792.
- Tian G, Sawashita J, Kubo H, et al. Ubiquinol-10 supplementation activates mitochondria functions to decelerate senescence in senescence-accelerated mice. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2014;20(16):2606-2620.
- Frei B, Kim MC, Ames BN. Ubiquinol-10 is an effective lipid-soluble antioxidant at physiological concentrations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87(12):4879-4883.
- Zhang M, Dang L, Guo F, et al. Coenzyme Q(10) enhances dermal elastin expression, inhibits IL-1α production and melanin synthesis in vitro. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2012;34(3):273-279.
- Muta-Takada K, Terada T, Yamanishi H, et al. Coenzyme Q10 protects against oxidative stress-induced cell death and enhances the synthesis of basement membrane components in dermal and epidermal cells. Biofactors. 2009;35(5):435-441.
- Olivieri F, Lazzarini R, Babini L, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of ubiquinol-10 on young and senescent endothelial cells via miR-146a modulation. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013;63:410-420.
- Choi BS, Song HS, Kim HR, et al. Effect of coenzyme Q10 on cutaneous healing in skin-incised mice. Arch Pharm Res. 2009;32(6):907-913.
Ubiquinol-10 for the production of collagen & elastin
Collagen makes up almost 80% of our skin and nearly a third of all proteins in our body. Ubiquinol-10 may accelerate the proliferation of dermal fibroblasts and production of types IV and VII collagens; it supports collagen production, which helps to increase cell regeneration and maintain skin elasticity.7
Studies show that the topical application of Ubiquinol-10 boosts collagen production. As skin ages, peroxide levels increase – a definite sign of oxidative damage to structural skin proteins such as collagen. With topical application of Ubiquinol-10, peroxide levels are reduced, an effect that continues to be maintained for a significant amount of time after treatment ends. Hence, Ubiquinol-10 acts as an antioxidant and can also reverse the aging processes that result in collagen degradation.8
Life Is Smiles
Pre-order herlip® cold sore rapid relief gel now and receive free standard postage & handling worldwide.
herlip™ Cold Sore Rapid Relief Gel – 8x Multi-Action Formula for Cold Sores
The Future of Cold Sore Treatment
herlip™ cold sore rapid relief gel is an 8x multi-action formula used for rapidly treating the symptoms and signs associated with cold sores. The result of 6 years of research and development, this unique eco-friendly antiviral product with 30+ naturally-sourced ingredients, soothes, treats, and rapidly improves cold sores.
Packed with fast-acting ingredients and zero harsh chemicals, herlip™ cold sore rapid relief gel is the safe, effective choice for cold sore management. herlip™ cold sore rapid relief gel contains a unique combination of nine (9) active ingredients:
- Leptospermum Australian Manuka honey 50mg/g,
- Zinc Oxide 38mg/g,
- Lysine 14.9mg/g,
- Propolis Liquid Extract 12mg/g,
- Melissa Officinalis 10.5mg/g,
- Glycine 10mg/g,
- Menthol 1.2mg/g,
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) 1mg/g
- Ubiquinol-10 (CoQ10) 500 Microgram/g
Our 8x multi-action formula is unlike any other on the market. It simultaneously provides; antiviral action against HSV-1, assistance with wound healing, relief by soothing and cooling the area, acting as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory, giving an anti-itch effect, and, finally, moisturizing the affected area.